Starting with AVChat 3.6.3 the steps needed to make AVChat function as an IM have gotten simpler, thanks to a couple of changes changes made to the mechanism for automatic room creation. See blogpost for full explanation.
Here is a quick guide on how to use AVChat as an IM when using Red5 or AMS as media server after the AVChat 3.6.3 update
Edit avc_settings.xml and:
1. set roomsListEnabled to 2 since we don't need the rooms panel
2. set hideUsersList to 1 . There will be only 2 persons in chat so there's no need for the users list.
3. set the licenseKey to your license key from the client area. Otherwise the media server will not know the license key and will ask it from your website users every time AVChat connects to a new app instance (see below).
4. set dropInRoom to r0 . Both users in an instance will be automatically dropped into the room that's auto created by default in every app instance starting with AVChat 3.6.3.
Now whenever you want to group 2 people together separately in their own instance:
- dynamically change the last part of the connectionstring (the instance name) based on who you want to connect with who using avc_settings.php/aspx/asp. like this: rtmp://yourmediaserver.com/avchat30/userA_userB .
That's it, here's how AVChat will look without the room list, users list with 2 users: